Sheriff Tiraspol suffered the first defeat in the current edition of the UEFA Champions League. The team trained by Stjepan Tomas lost at home to Viktoria Plzen 1-2 in the first leg of the third qualifying round of the competition, IPN reports.
The return game is played at the Plzen City Stadium on August 9, starting at 8pm.
If they lose the duel with the Czech team, Sheriff will continue their way in the UEFA Europa League and will compete against the team that will lose the encounter between Crvena Zvezda (Serbia) and FC Pyunik (Armenia), the Moldovan Football Federation said in a press release.
The winner of the round will qualify for the playoffs of the UEFA Champions League and on August 16/17 will play away against the winner of the encounter between Qarabağ (Azerbaijan) and Ferencvárosi TC (Hungary).
The Sheriff – Viktoria fixture was the 89th match played by the team from Tiraspol in the UEFA Champions League. Sheriff scored 33 victories and 19 draws and suffered 36 defeats.
- Igor Grosu: Ballots will be printed in language in which citizens will request
- Members of commission for pre-vetting candidates for PCCOCS head withdraw
- Veronica Dragalin: Elimination of corrupt people from justice system is a priority for 2023
- Non-domestic users to get natural gas subsidies
- Global agricultural production in 2022 lower than a year before